Project Level: Beginner II
In this class, you will learn some basic microcontroller programming skills using the micro:bit! The micro:bit is a pocket-sized computer that you can code, customize and control to bring your digital ideas, games and apps to life. It’s a small, code-able device that provides a great introduction to programming and making – switch on, program it to do something fun – wear it, customize it, develop new ideas.
We’ll learn how to illuminate LEDs and create simple animations, we’ll program the micro:bit to respond to button presses, and we’ll learn how to program micro:bits to communicate with one another over Bluetooth. Once we understand the basics, we’ll build a few interactive games including a hide and seek game and a cool, large-group zombie invasion game! We’ll also brainstorm on new projects you can build in class or at home.
Technologies to be Learned:
- programming simple electronic components like LEDs, buttons, and sensors
- basic communication between mico:bit devices using Bluetooth
- brainstorming on additional projects you can build using a micro:bit
- A laptop with at least one USB drive available and working
- Chrome browser (fully updated preferred)
- Some experience with basic programming is helpful but not required