Project Level: Beginner II
In this class, you will learn some basic programming skills using the micro:bit microcontroller! The micro:bit is a pocket-sized computer that you can code, customize and control to bring your digital ideas, games and apps to life. It’s a small, code-able device that provides a great introduction to programming and making – switch on, program it to do something fun – wear it, customize it, develop new ideas.
We’ll learn how to illuminate LEDs and create simple animations, we’ll program the micro:bit to respond to button presses, and we’ll learn how to program micro:bits to communicate with one another over Bluetooth. Once we understand the basics, we’ll build a few interactive games including a hide and seek game and a cool, large-group zombie invasion game! We’ll also brainstorm on new projects you can build in class or at home.
Technologies to be Learned:
- programming simple electronic components like LEDs, buttons, and sensors
- basic communication between mico:bit devices using Bluetooth
- brainstorming on additional projects you can build using a micro:bit
- A laptop with at least one USB drive available and working
- Chrome browser (fully updated preferred)
- Some experience with basic programming is helpful but not required
This class was also offered in 2018. This year we will be covering the same content as last year, with only slight adjustments.